2 Ft Class II Type A2 Biosafety Cabinet with Detachable Stand
$4,890.00 – $4,925.00
Our biosafety cabinet is a critical need product intended to serve special needs markets. Strictly MSRP pricing only applies.
A biosafety cabinet, also called a biological safety cabinet or microbiological safety cabinet—is an enclosed, ventilated laboratory workspace for safely working with materials contaminated with (or potentially contaminated with) pathogens requiring a defined biosafety level.
The primary purpose of a BSC is to serve as a means to protect the laboratory worker and the surrounding environment from pathogens. All exhaust air is HEPA-filtered as it exits the biosafety cabinet, removing harmful bacteria and viruses. This is in contrast to a laminar flow clean bench, which blows unfiltered exhaust air towards the user and is not safe for work with pathogenic agents. Neither are most BSCs safe for use as fume hoods. Likewise, a fume hood fails to provide the environmental protection that HEPA filtration in a BSC would provide. However, most classes of BSCs have a secondary purpose to maintain the sterility of materials inside (the “product”).
Class I cabinets provide personnel and environmental protection but no product protection. In fact, the inward flow of air can contribute to contamination of samples. Inward airflow is maintained at a minimum velocity of 75 ft/min(0.38 m/s). These BSCs are commonly used to enclose specific equipment (e.g. centrifuges) or procedures (e.g. aerating cultures) that potentially generate aerosols. BSCs of this class are either ducted (connected to the building exhaust system) or unducted (recirculating filtered exhaust back into the laboratory.
Class II cabinets provide both kinds of protection (of the samples and of the environment) since makeup air is also HEPA-filtered. There are five types: Type A1 (formerly A), Type A2 (formerly A/B3), Type B1, Type B2 and Type C1. Each type’s requirements are defined by NSF International Standard 49, which in 2002 reclassified A/B3 cabinets (classified under the latter type if connected to an exhaust duct) as Type A2, and added the Type C1 in the 2016 standard. About 90% of all biosafety cabinets installed are Type A2 cabinets.
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES USING A BSC
- No flammable and explosive substances (Building up of flammable material may cause an internal fire or explosion)
- No volatile chemicals (May cause damage to HEPA filters to the point where it allows particles to leak through)
- No toxic chemicals or materials (May reach room occupants)
- No open flame (Will disrupts air flow patterns)
- Minimal use (10mL or less) of decontaminant, such as 70% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol is allowed.
- We recommend using the following for disinfecting the surfaces of a BSC, depending on the agent to be controlled: Sodium hypochlorite (bleach), Ilodophors (Wescodyne), Phenolics (Hilphene, Vespene) and Quaternary ammonium compounds (Conflikt, EndbacII)
- If gaseous, vaporized or aerosolized chemicals must be generated in a BSC, you should assure yourself that the quantity being generated will NOT cause a flammable or toxic risk.
| Electrical requirements
|| 110V 60Hz 1-Phase 200 watts
|Chamber|| Dimensions: 23.5 x 19.5 x 21.25″ (WxDxH)
Material: 304 stainless steel
Power outlet with cover: two, < 300 watts
Maximum load: 50 Lbs
Chamber working surface height with stand: 29.5″
|Lights|| LED lights: 8W x 2, > 1000 Lux
UV lights: 15W (Germicidal UV lamp, emission 253.7 nanometers).
* UV lights available only when the front glass panel is fully closed.
* Recommended replacement interval: 600 hours
| Air flow
Inflow: 345 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Downflow: 500 CFM
Exhaust: 345 CFM
Inflow: 100-110 FPM (Feet per Minute)
Downflow: 60-70 FPM
* 70% recirculated internally, 30% discharged from top vent
* Air circulation available only when front glass panel is open
|Top clearance||12″ (recommended)|
| HEPA (High-Efficiency
Particulate Air) filter
| Two, with 99.995% efficiency at 0.3 μm diameter
Filter hour indicator and life bar on controller
* Recommended replacement interval: 4,000 hours
| Front safety panel
|| Material: tempered safety glass (thickness > 5mm), dual-layer, laminated, UV blocking
Recommended opening height: 8″
Maximum opening height: 15″
|Material|| Chamber: 304 stainless steel
Main body: powder coated steel
|Controller|| LCD screen with soft touch buttons and remote control
|Noise||< 58 dB(A)|
| Weight & dimensions
|| 220 Lbs (unit), 280 Lbs (shipping)
With stand: 27.5 x 25.25 x 75.5″ (WxDxH)
Without stand: 27.5 x 25.25 x 48.5″ (WxDxH)
Shipping: 34 x 31.5 x 57″ (WxDxH)
|Safety|| Abnormal airflow alarm
Filter replacement alarm
Front glass panel unsafe height
Additional Top Vent Connector (included, 70% recirculated internally, 30% discharged from top vent)